The Criminal Law and Police Section serves as general legal counsel to the Dallas Police Department. The attorneys advise DPD officers on a variety of topics, including laws of arrest, searches, and constitutional issues. Specific job duties are to:
- Issue legal opinions and legal bulletins, as requested by DPD
- Review DPD subpoenas and requests for Public Information.
- Teach recruit officers various legal courses, including Penal Code, Code of Criminal Procedure, and the Criminal Justice System.
- Handle expunction cases.
- Provide 24-hour emergency legal assistance to DPD
- Attend Public Safety Committee and Citizens/Police Review Board meetings.
- Attend DPD administrative staff briefings and other DPD meetings
- Conduct magistrate hearings regarding property in municipal court
The three attorney staff is housed in the Jack Evans Police Headquarters.