Assistant City Attorney
General Counsel Division
Transactions and Advisory Section
Don Knight joined the Dallas City Attorney’s Office in 2000. His practice focuses on advising city departments regarding telecommunications, cable and utility issues as well as technology acquisitions. He also advises the Office of Emergency Management.
- Texas Tech University School Of Law
- Austin College
B. A. - Political Science, 1979
Affiliations & Activities
- Texas City Attorney Association’s Galen Sparks Award for Outstanding Public Service, an award recognizing an assistant city attorney for significant and distinguished career achievements in the field of municipal law.
- Chair, Texas Coalition of Cities For Utility Issues
- NCTCOG Wireless Telecommunications Task Force
- Admitted to the State Bar of Texas , November 1982
Publications & Presentations
- Dallas City Attorney’s Office CLE, Utility Regulation 101, June 2013
- Dallas City Attorney’s Office CLE, Procurement 101, June 2010
- Listserv, a regular column for the Municipal Lawyer, a publication of the International Municipal Lawyer Association.
- Dallas City Attorney’s Office CLE, Public Facilities Naming Issues, June 2008
- Dallas City Attorney’s Office CLE, Emergency Management 101, Dallas, Texas, June 2007
- ABA Section of State & Local Government Law, Madison, Wisconsin, October 2006
- NATOA Litigation and Regulation Seminar, Washington, D.C., March 2006
- University of Texas Telecom, Cable and Wireless Conference, Austin, March 2006
- SB5 A Texas Tale, NATOA Journal, Winter 2005,
- SB5 and Cable Franchising in Texas, Austin, December 2005
- Texas Municipal League Annual Conference, SB5 and Cable Franchising, Grapevine, Texas, October 2005
- Challenges Facing Local Government, Cable Franchising, Dallas, September 2005
- ROW Litigation and Regulation; NATOA Annual Conference, Denver, September 2003
- Telecommunications Legislation; TATOA Annual Conference, Austin, August 2003
- FCC Public Forum on ROW Management, Washington D.C., October 2002
- Making the Connection: 2000; TCCFUI Conference, Austin, August 2000
- Making the Connection: 1999; TCCFUI Conference, Austin, January 1999
- Texas American Planning Association: Wireless Mini-Conference, Austin, October 1998
- Wireless Buildout Conference, Dallas, March 1997
- NLC Congressional Cities Conference, FCC/Public Official Panel Discussion, Washington, D.C., March 1997
- FCC Public Forum on Wireless Facilities Siting, Washington, D.C., February 1997
- North Central Texas Council of Governments, Wireless Telecommunications Conference, DFW Airport, November 1996
- Wireless Buildout Conference San Antonio, September 1996
- CITY ATTORNEY'S OFFICE Irving, Texas
1987– October 2000: Sr. Assistant City Attorney responsible for legal matters relating to telecommunications, utilities, land use, and contract negotiations, including technology acquisitions.
1985-1987: Assistant City Attorney in charge of criminal prosecution and code violations.
- CITY ATTORNEY'S OFFICE Dallas, Texas
1983 - 1985: Chief Prosecutor, responsible for Prosecution Division of the City Attorney’s Office.
1983 - 1984: Assistant city attorney assigned to prosecution division.
- PRIVATE PRACTICE Seagoville, Texas
1982 - 1983: General Practice.